City Tavern Preservation Foundation

Located in the heart of Georgetown at the intersection of M Street & Wisconsin Ave, the City Tavern has long been a center of activity in the city and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Originally constructed in 1796, the City Tavern functioned as both an inn and a major hub of civic life in the area during the early Federal period. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and other Founding Fathers frequented the Tavern during this time.

The City Tavern Preservation Foundation is an independent 501(c)(3) organization with the mission of preserving one of the oldest Federal period buildings and the sole remaining founding-era tavern in Washington, D.C. and conducts tours of the building and offers educational and civic programming to the public.

Located in the heart of Georgetown at the intersection of M Street & Wisconsin Ave, the City Tavern has long been a center of activity in the city and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Originally constructed in 1796, the City Tavern functioned as both an inn and a major hub of civic life in the area during the early Federal period. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and other Founding Fathers frequented the Tavern during this time.

The City Tavern Preservation Foundation is an independent 501(c)(3) organization with the mission of preserving one of the oldest Federal period buildings and the sole remaining founding-era tavern in Washington, D.C. and conducts tours of the building and offers educational and civic programming to the public.

Events