Actions and Detail Panel
The Tree Party with Liss Crossover & Operation Bobbi Bear
Sat 14 January 2017, 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM GMT
The Tree Party event will be an open day/afternoon with a South African theme which will work as an educational topic for the youth at Crossover and allow them to become involved in and aware off international issues. It will be interactive and an exciting opportunity to learn about a different culture.
We want to encourage Liss youth to take ownership of the event and be involved with its running through a variety of ways.
• At the centre of the party will be a large homemade tree, which will be done by the youth in a
creative and artistic way.
• Youth can take part in learning and performing on African drums
• Offer the opportunity to taste traditional African food
• A teddy bears picnic, aimed at the younger children invited to bring their favourite teddy to join
in the party and have a photo taken under the tree
• An African animal mask competition, in which masks can be made and African animal face
painting can be offered during the party
• Older youth will have an opportunity to learn about South African history and the issues, which
are currently being faced.
• A Bake Off
• Local businesses trade show and collaboration projects
• We will run a ‘selfie’ competition, using a picture frame and cardboard accessories - a prize can be won for the most creative selfie
• Hand written notes can be attached to the tree and can be sent to the Tree Clinic in South Africa, again for a small donation towards our projects
In this sense, the Cross over youth will be encouraged to take on responsibility for the event and hopefully, themselves be inspired to support the work of Bobbi Bear.
This event will be a time to invite guests into the crossover and witness the wonderful work being carried out and encouraged there. This would also be a great time to have a brief overview of the future projects and plans of the Crossover and have them printed and available for guests to pick up.
Promoting the work, and offering opportunities for locals to become involved directly and offer their time and skills. This would be together with a sign up sheet for individuals who may be willing to come and contribute to a one off session or talk with the Youth.
Liss Crossover has now been running in Liss for 10 years and has become a place where youth have found a sense of community and belonging. The Crossover offers a broad spectrum of educational and social support for vulnerable youth, running talks and workshops on health, career and offer advise, as well as being a safe place for children and youth to meet and socialise weekly after school.
Bobbi Bear is a project based in Amanzimtotif, South Africa, which aims to rescue and uphold the rights of child victims, minimise their risk of HIV infection and help them towards wholeness. It is a human rights organisation that runs outreach programmes to support rural communities, which identify, rescue, monitor and support vulnerable and traumatized children. The specific programme we are proposing to link with the Crossover is the Illovo Tree Clinic which started in 1996 as a way of addressing HIV/AIDS, rights, empowerment and democracy development.
Both the Liss Crossover and the Illovo Tree Clinic carry out essential work, supporting, protecting and investing in the future generations and encouraging them to become healthy, hard working, active members of their communities. We believe therefore, that a mutually beneficial link can be formed between Liss Crossover and Bobbi Bears Illovo project.
Contact: Miriam Harding on firstname.lastname@example.org 07557 966 224