STRUCTURE FOR REDUCATION DECEMBER 2013:
This is real world training - taught by working professionals, for working professionals and those looking to work in the field of Digital Cinematography and High Resolution Post Production.
Choose to take just the 3 Day REDucation class or continue learning RED by taking an additional 2 day special track class to encompass a full week of RED training with your focus in mind.
3 DAY REDUCATION CLASS - Taught by a team of experienced RED production and post production professionals.
Monday, December 2nd - Wednesday, December 4th
Time of classes 9am-6pm
The week of REDucation begins with the 3 day REDucation class focused on hands-on learning with RED Digital Cinema camera packages (EPIC, SCARLET and RED ONE). Learn, shoot and review 4K footage on the big screen each day.
REDucation's core course is a 2 day workshop covering:
- EPIC, EPIC DRAGON and SCARLET camera build up and check out - the rental house experience with monitoring, lens choices, and testing equipment
- A complete overview of the camera menus and options
- Exposure dynamics - Shooting RED in low light, high contrast, and daylight exterior
- On set RED experience - DIT, dailies, 3rd party recorders and carts
- Two shooting exercises emphasizing hands on time with RED cameras and accessories
- Science of RED - Bayer pattern, resolution, codec choices, wavelets and color science
- Workflow - Post house and DIY overview, archival, editing and grading options
- Screening of 4K footage from RED and Students, and short films from the SHOT ON RED Film Festival
Day 3 of REDucation is now a choice between two of the following modules:
- Production Audio - Double system sound, top hardware choices, and time code
- HDRx, Stills, and Motion - In depth shooting exercises
- Data Dynamics - Management, archiving, data rates, hardware options
CONTINUE LEARNING AFTER REDUCATION
2-DAY EXTENSION COURSES*
Thursday, December 5th - Friday, December 6th
* The classes listed below are taught simultaneously. Please only select one class to attend.
Class Hours: 9am-6pm
ADVANCED POST PRODUCTION (3 day REDucation prerequisite)
After the initial introduction to basic workflow and Redcine-X that will be covered during the initial three-day course, this two-day extension course will cover the advance methodologies necessary to understand R3D workflow preparation, acquisition, and technique. The following topics will be covered in-depth:
- On-Set Media Ingestion and Color Correction.
- Full Adobe workflow, including Prelude, Premiere, Speedgrade and Photoshop.
- FCP-X and DaVinci color grading workflow.
- Media push-out and theatrical delivery.
Instructors: Dado Valentic (colorist, Total Recall) & Patrick Palmer (specialist/colorist, Adobe Speed Grade)
SHOOT, POST, PRESENT (3 Day REDucation prerequisite)
Put your acquired REDucation knowledge to the test! This two-day extension allows for learning RED workflow through practical application. In a matter of 48hours, small groups will work alongside actors and RED specialists to produce a short script for presentation through the following exercises:
- Production – Lighting, sound, and performance. Basic on-set practices covered in order to best utilize the RED Epic camera for capturing performance.
- Post-Production – Native R3D/4K workflow, edited in Adobe Premiere, color graded in SpeedGrade.
- Presentation – Deliver the final film for a 4K projection onto a full theatrical movie screen.
LIGHTING FOR MOTION AND STILLS
Learn the art of cinematography and motion-capture. Taught by professional lighting technician and gaffer Pat Grosswendt (Gosford Park), this two-day extension will cover techniques for better understanding image conceptualization and proper camera exposure.
- Real world, hands-on lighting exercises; includes rigging and how to control and fine-tune light within multiple environments.
- Live action cinematography and high frame rate motion capture for still image photography.
- Full theatrical presentation of images captured, projected in 4K.
RED Digital Cinema is taking the next step in the evolution of our various education efforts with REDucation. The goal of this effort is fully immersive, hands-on, practical training and teaching of the RED ONE/EPIC/Scarlet camera system for both on set practices and post production practices.